Classical Arts Awards 2018
Scott Joplin's Treemonisha 2017
Lucien Lambert's La Flamenca 2017
Opera and classical music in New Orleans and around the world have always included the contributions of persons of color. Since the 19th Century, Creoles of New Orleans have made contributions to the music and culture of New Orleans. It is their participation in opera, as well as the music of Africa, Spain, and Haiti that contributed to the birth of jazz.
Our non-profit, award winning company, founded in 2011 by the mother and daughter team of Givonna Joseph and Aria Mason, is dedicated to researching and performing lost or rarely performed works of composers of African descent, and sharing with the community the contributions of our people to this musical art form, in New Orleans, and around the world.Creole means "native to the place":
Many of us have also been members of the AGMA-affiliated Chorus.
The Louisiana Creole Research Association presented OperaCréole in its inaugural concert on May 21, 2011 at the historic St. Mary's Church next to the Old Ursuline Convent in the French Quarter.
Some of our venues/contracts:
- Marigny Opera House
- Music Box Village
- N.O. Jazz and Heritage Festival
- Council of French Societies
- Louisiana Creole Research Association
- Whitney Plantation/Slavery Museum
- French Quarter Festival
- Edgar (Dooky) and Leah Chase Foundation
- Terrance Blanchard
- N.O. Film Festival, "12 Years A Slave" premiere
- Arts Council of New Orleans' "Community Arts Awards"
- N.O. Jazz National Historical Park
- Historic New Orleans Collection
- Roots of Music Series: Ellis Marsalis Center for Music
- University of Illinois
- Major productions of operas by African American and other composers of color
- Historically themed concert, including Creole Folksongs, and Jazz standards.
- Fun performances for private corporate events, special events, and conventions
- Educational presentations for all age groups
We can tailor the number of singers to fit your budget when needed. Feel free to contact us with any questions!
Givonna Joseph, Founder and Director